Delay in investigation a concern, says family
25 September, 2023, 4:15 pm
A family on Taveuni is concerned over delayed investigation involving their daughter believed to have been indecently assaulted two months ago and the alleged suspect remains free.
In an interview with the victim’s mother, she said she frequently visited the Taveuni Police Station to follow up on the report and made several phone calls, but to no success.
“I called them many times and even visited the police station, but until today the culprit who is known to us has not been charged,” she said.
A family member and SODELPA candidate of last year’s elections, Atonio Lavekau questioned the police supervisor’s role over this matter.
Mr Lavekau, also a retired police and crimes officer, said it has taken two months since July for police to resolve the case and charge the culprit.
“Now we have asked the mother and child to come to Labasa so we can deal with it here because everytime she contacted police on Taveuni, they informed her that it has been referred to Labasa,” he said.
“But when we checked with the Sex Unit of police in Labasa nothing has been recorded and this is unacceptable.
“A child is being traumatised and police have not charged the culprit whom we know and I only blame the senior officers for not advising and instructing the younger officers of the steps to take.”
Divisional Police Commander North SSP Kemueli Baledrokadroka confirmed on Saturday the alleged suspect was in their custody and would be produced in court today.